Every year, Mrs. Annette Gardner hosts multiple Day Care Days (DCD) in line with the CTE Introduction Utah State Standards. DCD invites children from 2 to 5 years old to participation in the activity/assignment. The students plan in groups what they will do for the day with the children.
When the children arrive, the student groups take time to introduce the children to the area and let them explore and familiarize themselves. Next, the children may participate in the planned activity. The students pay attention to each detail and plan age appropriate activities.
The CTE Introduction students learn a great deal about the children including behaviors, energy levels, engagement, etc. Some of the students gave feedback about the assignment by saying:
- They are a lot of work. -Jessica Draughon
- You have to keep an eye on them all the time. -Sara Woods
- It's not that easy to keep track of one kid. -Drew Hill
- They are fast and move around a lot. -Ben Flores
- Lots of kids are really shy while others are the exact opposite. Kids love princess and frog puppet shows. -Hampton Bassett
- They do what they want and if not, they cry. Kids love to hit things. -Brielle Anderson
- Children need to learn for themselves –Kate Oliver