- The first is 'MeetMe,' an app where teens can easily be in contact with users much older than them, with an emphasis on dating.
- 'WhatsApp' and 'SnapChat' are for messaging, but what you should know is teens can send unlimited messages, have video chats and even share their live location with other users, people they may not even know.
- 'Skout' is a flirting app that's used to meet and chat with new people. Teens and adults are in different groups, but ages aren’t verified.
- 'TikTok' is used for sharing user created videos that can contain bad words, even adult content.
- 'Badoo' and 'Bumble' are dating apps for adults, but teens can still find ways to join.
- 'Grindr' is geared towards the LGBTQ community. It allows users to share photos and meet up based on phone’s GPS location.
- 'Kik' is specifically for kids, but anyone can join and anyone can contact or direct message your child.
- 'LiveMe' is a live streaming app, but you don’t know who’s watching and your kids location is revealed.
- 'Holla' is all about connecting strangers around the world through video chat. Enough said.
- 'Whisper' is a social confessional where kids can remain anonymous, but still share their feelings. And it can reveal your child’s location for a meet up.
- 'ASKfm' encourages people to allow anonymous users to ask them questions, which opens the door for online bullying.
- 'Hot or Not' rates users on attractiveness.. There’s no age verification and users can send each other messages.
- And lastly, 'Calculator%' apps are several secret apps that allows kids to hide their photos, videos, even browser history.
|Name / Position||Email / Website|
Leslie Parrott9th Grade Counselor
Robert Mundinger7th Grade Counselor
Sandy Caceres8th Grade Counselor
Trudy BallowCounseling Secretary
DFJH Counseling Pages:
- Team Serve Calendar
- DFJH Counseling Documents - Course Catalog, Registration forms, etc.
- High School Info, PCCR sign-ups, "High School, College, & Career Planning" booklets, 4 yr plan
- Important Links - District, State, Federal, College, Scholarships, ACT, Careers & Jobs
- College & Scholarships
- ALC & Concurrent Enrollment Info
- Mental Health - Suicide prevention, depression, anxiety, information
- Plan for College and Career Readiness
15 apps parents should look out for on their kids' phones
8th Grade PCCR (Plan for College and Career Readiness) Meeting
PCCR Meetings will start in November and end in December this year for 8th grade students.
What is a PCCR (Plan for College and Career Readiness) Meeting?
Parents/Guardians and 8th grade students will meet with one of the school counselors. We will discuss high school courses and graduation credits, college, scholarships, concurrent enrollment, AP classes, the ACT/SAT test, and much more. This meeting will last approximately 45 minutes.
Reunión sobre la preparación universitaria y profesional
Todos los estudiantes del octavo grado y sus padres/guardianes se reunirán con los consejeros de la escuela. Vamos a charlar de los cursos de la secundaria y créditos de graduación, la universidad, las becas, la matriculación de classes concurrentes, las clases de AP, la prueba ACT/SAT, y mucho más. Esta reunión tendrá una duración de aproximadamente 45 minutos.
Mr. McKell - Students with last names A-D
Ms. Caceres - Students with last names E-H
y familias de appellido A-Z
Mr. Mundinger - Students with last names I-O
Parent PCCR Survey
Stand 4 Kind
All students are welcome to join Stand 4 Kind. We do activities during the year to promote kindness, friendship, and fun! We will start in September :)
Please fill out the application located in the following link.
9th Graders! Practice tests for your drivers permit at:
Plan for College:
As part of a new Parent University Series on College & Career Readiness, Nebo School District offers free monthly webinars on the college planning process for parents and their high school students. Statistics show that less than 9% of all students who enter a 4 year college both graduate in 4 years and do so without debt. We believe timely information from industry professionals could dramatically move that needle.
College Success Formula is broadcasting nationally, so please register and if you can’t watch the live broadcast, you will have access to the recording for 30 days after each webinar. Click on the following link to register for one or many. www.CollegePlanningWebinars.com
Please sign up to gain access to the recording for 30 days after each webinar. Sign up for one or many. www.CollegePlanningWebinars.com
*The mention of a business or service in this flyer does not imply an endorsement by the district.*
United Way - Resources for Families